Posting Date:Thu, 09 Mar 2017
Date to Apply By: Until Filled
Estimated Start Date: To be Determined
City: Edmonton or Calgary
The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner (OCME) is committed to the provision of high quality services to Albertans. Activities performed enable the OCME to certify the cause and manner of death in accordance with the Fatality Inquiries Act, provide forensic services, assisting and educating Albertans in time of grief, and develop and maintain a center of excellence in forensic pathology and toxicology.
For more information about Alberta Justice and Solicitor General, visit our website at: http://justice.alberta.ca/Pages/home.aspx
Information regarding the OCME can be found by visiting our website at: http://justice.alberta.ca/programs_services/fatality/ocme/Pages/default.aspx
- Comprehensive benefits plan: http://www.chr.alberta.ca/Practitioners/DocList410.cfm
The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in the province of Alberta is looking for enthusiastic Forensic Pathologists to fill the positions of the Assistant Chief Medical Examiner (ACME) as well as a Deputy Chief Medical Examiner (DCME) at both the Calgary and Edmonton site offices.
These positions will be responsible for conducting death investigations under the Fatality Inquiries Act.
For the ACME positions:
- This position will be required to perform the full working duties of a Forensic Pathologist which include doing approximately 200 to 250 autopsy equivalents per year.
- Have extensive experience as a Forensic Pathologist or Medical Examiner involved in death investigations and providing expert testimony in complex cases
- Possess an ability to build strong relationships with staff and stakeholders.
- Have knowledge of relevant legislation including: Fatalities Inquiry Act, Vital Statistics Act, Public Health Act, Cemeteries Act, and Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP).
- Possess excellent communication skills and manage concurrent competing priorities under short timelines.
- This position will be supporting the Chief Medical Examiner (CME) with project work and provide leadership at the site office.
- This position will also be supporting the CME with managing complex business, financial and human resource issues and apply best practices. Experience in management or administration roles is preferred.
$11,944.38 - $13,894.52 bi-weekly.
Job ID # 1040887
Applicants must be a medical doctor with Board Certification in Anatomical or General Pathology and a sub-specialist certification in Forensic Pathology (for Canadian Forensic Pathologists trained before 2009, a fellowship in Forensic Pathology without Board Certification will also be considered eligible). Forensic pathology fellows currently in training are also qualified for this competition.
Candidates must be licensed or eligible for licensure from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta.
For the Deputy Chief Medical Examiner position at least eight (8) years of experience is required.
This is a 3-year contract position, with possibility of renewal. Final candidates will be asked to undergo a security screening. This competition may be used to fill future vacancies.
Online applications are preferred at www.jobs.alberta.ca. If you are unable to submit an electronic version of your resume, please submit your resume, quoting the Job ID, to: Katelynn Kelly, Alberta Justice and Solicitor General, 9th Floor, John E. Brownlee Building, 10365 97th Street, Edmonton, AB, T5J 3W7. Phone: (780) 643-0650 Fax: (780) 644-1395. Applicants who apply online will be able to track the status of their application. Note: As only one file can be uploaded, please ensure your cover letter, resume and any other related documents are submitted in one file.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' education and experience best meets the needs of the position. Please provide a valid email address as only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted via email.
Please continue to check jobs.alberta.ca for all career opportunities with the Government of Alberta.
Please use the following contact information to apply for this job:
Contact Name: Katelynn Kelly
Contact Address: Edmonton or Calgary, Alberta
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Phone: 780-643-0650