Posting Date:Mon, 14 Aug 2017
Date to Apply By: 08 Sep 2017
Estimated Start Date: To be Determined
Address: University of Alberta Hospital, 8440 112 Street NW
Medical (MD) Biochemistry Section Lead – Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, Edmonton, Alberta
Laboratory Services, Alberta Health Services, in partnership with the Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, University of Alberta, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, in Edmonton, Alberta is seeking a qualified Medical or Clinical Biochemist, (please see details for Clinical Biochemist (PhD) position on the AHS website: www.ahs.ca) this is a Leadership Position.
The successful candidates will join our current group of 96 laboratory physicians and scientists in the Edmonton Zone. The Clinical Section Chief for Medical Biochemistry in AHS Laboratory Services, is a key laboratory leadership position that directly reports to the AHS Laboratory Services Edmonton Zone Clinical Department Head (ZCDH).
The Medical Biochemistry Section Chief is a leader internally within the department and externally with relevant stakeholders, i.e. lab users, clinicians, and academics. This position oversees laboratory operations with a focus on the medical and scientific leadership of the Medical Biochemistry Section within Laboratory Services.
Accountabilities for this Lead Role include, but are not limited to:
- Liaises with clinical users of laboratory services in regards to medical and scientific operational issues and decisions related to the relevant laboratory section.
- Participates in test interpretation and reporting.
- Oversees the evaluation and implementation of Point of Care testing methodology, where applicable, in collaboration with other Section Chiefs /Divisional Directors in the Edmonton Zone.
- Provides knowledge transfer of emerging and innovative methodologies and procedures to staff and colleagues.
- Expertise in computational analysis of large scale laboratory utilization and quality data would be an asset.
- Provides medical leadership for the Edmonton Zone Laboratory Administrative Leadership team regarding financial, capital, physical and operating resources required for operational planning.
- Provides input on workforce planning, recruitment, quality improvement and strategic planning for the Biochemistry section.
- Works collaboratively with stakeholders from the Universities to enable and integrate clinical teaching and research.
- Facilitates communication with and provides expertise to external stakeholders, customers, and peer organizations.
- Responsibilities will include supervising technical staff, overseeing the laboratory quality assurance program, on call requirements, teaching and supervision of residents, clinical consultation with physicians, surgeons and oncologists, and liaising with various multidisciplinary committees and groups that develop and monitor laboratory policies, processes and procedures.
Areas of sub-specialty expertise summarized under this leadership position include:
Perinatal, neonatal and pediatric chemistry in a pediatric or general hospital setting, biochemical genetic testing, therapeutic drug monitoring and toxicology, organization and supervision of clinical laboratories, theory and practice of laboratory methodologies, quality management, statistical analysis, method evaluation and epidemiology.
Successful applicants will be considered for and academic appointment with the University of Alberta’s Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, (http://lmp.med.ualberta.ca/Pages/default.aspx). This includes opportunities for independent and/or collaborative research. Teaching and interaction with a wide range of learners from undergraduate through residents, with provision of interactive educational opportunities at all levels is encouraged and supported.
Applicants shall possess a strong track record of collegiality with co-workers, academic accomplishments, and evidence of ongoing continued medical education with a minimum of five (5) years experience in laboratory medicine with a leadership/management component.
The successful candidates shall have or be eligible for certification with the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and be eligible for licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta, or equivalent licensing bodies for a Clinical PhD candidate.
Physicians must also have current Canadian Medical Protective Association coverage. In accordance with the Canadian Foreign Workers requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Physician Salary is according to the Alberta Medical Association grid for physicians in Laboratory Medicine and Pathology.
Starting salary is commensurate with level of fellowship and experience (range $350,197 - $407,373).
Interested, qualified persons should forward their curriculum vitae and contact information of three referees to:
Kimberly Carleton, Coordinator - Physician & PhD Recruitment & Workforce Support, AHS Laboratory Services, 31-00 University Terrace, 8303 – 112 St. Edmonton, AB T6G 2T4 Tel: 780-407-2835 Fax: 780-407-7794
This position will remain open until a suitable qualified candidate has been determined. Alberta Health Services and the University of Alberta hire on the basis of merit.
We are committed to the principle of equity in employment. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified men and women, including persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities and Aboriginal persons.
Please use the following contact information to apply for this job:
Contact Name: Kimberly Carleton
Contact Address: 31-00 University Terrace, 8303 – 112 St
Contact Email: Kimberly.Carleton@ahs.ca
Contact Phone: 780-407-2835
Contact Fax: 780-407-7794