To advocate for the health of our planet and to educate pathologists, pathologists' assistants, physicians and the public about environmental issues in the laboratory and outside, and how these affect our health.
Climate Change Symposium - The Annual Meeting of the CAP-ACP next year in Halifax will feature a half day symposium on Climate Change and Health with the following presentations:
- Nicola Cherry, MD, PhD, Tripartite Chair of Occupational Health, Division of Preventive Medicine, University of Alberta – Health Effects of Wild Fires in Alberta
- Shivayogi Bhusnurmath, MD, FRCPath, Member of the IAP Executive, and Dean of Academic Affairs, St George’s University, Grenada, West Indies – Laboratory Services After A Caribbean Hurricane
- Rochelle Owen, BSc, MES, LEED GA, Executive Director, Office of Sustainability, Dalhousie University – Climate change planning, strategies and the role of organizations in making change
- Christopher Milroy, MD – Health Effects of Heat Waves
- A series of short presentations by children of CAP-ACP Members
Annual Meeting of the Environment NSN at the CAP-ACP Annual Meeting - Date, time and venue TBA
Climate Change Toolkit from the Canadian Association of Physicians for the Environment
This includes a module on environmental actions for health care institutions.
Green Office Toolkit from the Canadian Coalition for Green Healthcare
How to talk about climate change
Additional suggestions for a green laboratory with examples of solutions: (Note that the CAP-ACP does not formally endorse any companies.)
- Recycle solvents. - https://www.cbgbiotech.com/
- Recycle specimen containers.
- Recycle gloves.https://www.bureauengros.com/products/1269439-fr-terracycle-boite-zero-dechet-pour-gants-en-plastique-11-po-x-11-po-x-40-po-moyenne
- Recycle general waste in offices and lunchrooms.
- Ban plastic water bottles, paper cups and plastic cutlery from social events.
- Use electronic documents, and have paperless meetings.
- Green commute by walking, cycling and using public transport.
- Tele- and web conference rather than travel.
- Offset travel emissions.https://www.bullfrogpower.com/ & https://www.less.ca/en-ca/. Also offered by several major airlines, including Air Canada, KLM etc.
- Browse the net while planting trees. -www.ecosia.org
- Great paper listing ways to reduce environmental impact of clinical laboratories. Joseph B Lopez, David Jackson, Alistair Gammie, Tony Badrick, Reducing the Environmental Impact of Clinical Laboratories, Clin Biochem Rev 38 (1) 2017 p3-11
Suggestions to make meetings more sustainable and eco-friendly:
- Encourage carbon offsetting flights.
- Air Canada offers 10% discount if you register an event with them. Attendees could consider paying for carbon offset with their savings.
- Ask attendees to bring lanyards from previous conferences.
Provide sustainable swag/gift, such as:
- A water bottle and bamboo cutlery set that attendees keep, instead of providing plastic water bottles or plastic cutlery
- A small seedling
- Serve local food at events.
- Reduce meat options.
- Avoid bag lunches in disposable containers.
- Avoid disposable food wrapping.
For refreshment services, provide:
- Mugs instead of disposable cups
- Glasses for water instead of plastic water bottles
- Milk and cream in jugs instead of those little throwaways
- Metal spoons for stirring
- Canadian Association of Physicians for the Environment -https://cape.ca/
- The Origins of Specious: Climate Change Denialism from Ideas on Apple Podcasts. https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/ideas/id151485663?i=1000451482030
- Health Professionals Call to Action Endorsed by the CAP-ACP - https://cape.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Press-release-Call-To-Action-Oct-2019.pdf
Inspired TED Talk by Greta Thunberg
"If the global health care sector were a country, it would be the fifth-largest greenhouse gas emitter on the planet, according to Health care’s climate footprint: How the health sector contributes to the global climate crisis and opportunities for action, a report by Health Care Without Harm in collaboration with Arup."
Academics' action to reduce their impact from air travel
- How to explore the world without harming it: Guardian climate pledge 2019 https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/oct/19/guardian-climate-pledge-2019-air-travel-advice?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
- Listen to Naming and shaming the polluters from Today in Focus on Apple Podcasts. https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/today-in-focus/id1440133626?i=1000453930448
Social Media Link
- Follow us on Twitter @Path4Planet
If you would like to lean more or become a member, please contact us at 613-507-8528 | firstname.lastname@example.org.