ABOUT THE SIG
Year Created: 2012
Objectives/Mission: The CAP-ACP Nephropathology Special Interest Group (SIG) is an informal group of members that share information on nephropathology through email, share cases, and may meet at the CAP-ACP Annual Meeting or other pathology meetings.
Annual Programs: https://www.cap-acp.com/2020/
Retention Guidelines for Medical Renal Biopsies
Developed and approved by Nephropathology Special Interest Group, July 17, 2015
- Blocks and slides for light microscopy - 20 years or longer
- Slides for immunofluorescence, kept in refrigerator - One month after the case has been verified
- Frozen tissue for immunofluorescence - 20 years or longer at -70 degrees C
- Blocks and grids for electron microscopy - 20 years or longer
- Images from electron microscopy - indefinitely
- Reports - Indefinitely
- Racusen LC, Solez K, Colvin RB, et al. The Banff 97 working classification of renal allograft pathology. Kidney Int 1999;55: 713-23.
- Walker PD, Cavallo T, Bonsib SM. Practice guidelines for the renal biopsy. Mod Pathol 2004;17:1555-63.
- D'Agati VD, Fogo AB, Bruijn JA, Jennette JC. Pathologic classification of focal segmental glomerulosclerosis: a working proposal. Am J Kidney Dis 2004;43:368-82.
- Weening JJ, D'Agati VD, Schwartz MM, et al. The classification of glomerulonephritis in systemic lupus erythematosus revisited. J Am Soc Nephrol 2004;15:241-50.
- Nasr SH, Galgano SJ, Markowitz GS, Stokes MB, D'Agati VD. Immunofluorescence on pronase-digested paraffin sections: a valuable salvage technique for renal biopsies. Kidney Int 2006;70:2148-51.
- Cattran DC, Coppo R, Cook HT, et al. The Oxford classification of IgA nephropathy: rationale, clinicopathological correlations, and classification. Kidney Int 2009;76:534-45.
- Tervaert TW ,Mooyaart AL, Amann K, et al on behalf of the Renal Pathology Society. Pathologic Classification of Diabetic Nephropathy. J Am Soc Nephrol 2010;21: 556–563.
- Berden AE, Ferrario F, Hagen EC, et al. Histopathologic classification of ANCA-associated glomerulonephritis. J Am Soc Nephrol 2010;21:1628-36.
- Chang A, Gibson IW, Cohen AH et al. A position paper on standardizing the nonneoplastic kidney biopsy report. Human Pathology 2012;43:1192–1196.
- Korbet, SM. Nephrology and the Percutaneous Renal Biopsy: A Procedure in Jeopardy of Being Lost Along the Way. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2012; 7:1545-7.
- Tøndel C, Vikse BE, Bostad L, Svarstad E. Safety and Complications of Percutaneous Kidney Biopsies in 715 Children and 8573 adults in Norway 1988-2010. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2012; 7:1591-7.