Posting Date:Tue, 01 Aug 2017
Date to Apply By: 24 Aug 2017
Estimated Start Date: To be Determined
Deputy State Pathologist
The Office of the State Pathologist advises An Garda Síochána (Irish Police Force) on matters regarding forensic pathology and performs post-mortem examinations at the request of a coroner and the Minister for Justice and Equality or An Garda Síochána. The Deputy State Pathologist will assist the State Pathologist in the provision of this service.
The person appointed will advise An Garda Síochána on questions pertaining to or involving the science of forensic pathology and provide evidence as an expert witness in any criminal case/Coroners Court resulting from a death in which a post-mortem examination has been carried out. Applications are invited from medical practitioners who are registered in the General Register of Medical Practitioners or who are entitled to be registered and have the requisite additional specified qualifications as outlined in the Information Booklet for this campaign.
In addition, the successful candidate will have:
- relevant experience with specific knowledge and technical skills in Forensic Pathology/ Medicine;
- the ability to carry out post mortem examinations to a high standard and in recognition of national guidelines, to construct scientifically accurate and readable medico-legal reports;
- experience in diagnostic histopathology;
- experience of presenting evidence in court in a professional and impartial manner;
- excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate medical knowledge to lay persons and to teach proficiently at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
This is a Top Level Appointments Committee (TLAC) position.
For a confidential discussion, please contact Paula Quinn on + 353 1 858 7600 or email
For more information and how to apply, visit www.publicjobs.ie
Please use the following contact information to apply for this job:
Contact Name: Paula Quinn
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Phone: 353 1 858 7600