Posting Date:Mon, 16 Mar 2020
Date to Apply By: Until Filled
Estimated Start Date: To be Determined
Address: 67 College St.
A fundamental conviction anchors the diverse responsibilities of Canadian Blood Services: what we do matters. We ensure Canadian patients have reliable access to the safe, high-quality, blood, plasma, stem cells, and organs and tissues they need.
Canadian Blood Services is seeking a Physician – Genomic Expert to help further our mission, to be part of a dynamic, innovative, collaborative, diverse and caring organization committed to saving and improving the lives of Canadians. We are the connection between the sincere generosity of donors, and the heartfelt appreciation of recipients. We offer the opportunity to contribute to systems-level changes in health care, providing the opportunity to contribute to the care of both individual patient and the larger Canadian population that we serve.
Reporting to the Director, Centre for Innovation, the physician is a member of a multidisciplinary team that maintains the medically-relevant, biological and technical standards established for blood collection, processing, testing, storage and distribution processes. They will support and further develop the scientific and medical aspects of donor and patient-related services offered by Canadian Blood Services. The physician also supports professional education and public awareness activities related to transfusion and transplantation and shares our knowledge and expertise with our health-care partners, donors, patients and others. This role provides the clinically-relevant direction and advice on all medical and technical policies and procedures in support of good manufacturing practices, all regulatory requirements, and the safety and adequacy of our products and services.
• Provides medical expertise for activities involving genomics as it relates to transfusion and transplantation practices. Activities include research or quality assurance projects, surveillance of research advancements, interface with international experts and operational support.
• Provides medical expertise for Diagnostic Laboratories Services and Donor Testing Laboratory Services including consultative services in immunohematology and the rare blood program.
• Delivers consultative services on all aspects of transfusion medicine to stakeholders including physicians, and allied health professions at local universities, colleges, hospitals, blood offices and educational programs. Actively develops and promotes programs to establish best practices for transfusion medicine, the appropriate utilization of blood and blood products, and transfusion medicine testing.
• Delivers consultative services and medical expertise internally at Canadian Blood Services for supply chain operations, quality and regulatory issues, donor relations, and stem cells.
• Promotes, initiates, and conducts a program of applied or developmental research in collaboration with others to optimize processes and products, reduce costs, and evaluate new products or processes.
• Participates in the development of Canadian Blood Services’ national or regional policies.
• Provides thought leadership and subject matter expertise to strategic initiatives, operational initiatives/processes as well as legal and human rights issues.
Education, Training, and Experience:
• A medical degree and a license in good standing to practice medicine in the province of residence is required.
• Experience in genomics, including data management and analysis is required. A PhD is this field is an asset.
• Must meet all relevant provincial requirements as defined in legislation and by accrediting bodies for province of residence.
• A specialty certification in Hematology, Hematopathology, Transfusion Medicine or a related field is preferred.
• American Society for Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics (ASHI) HLA Laboratory Director Training certification or eligibility is an asset.
• Must have or be eligible for University appointment in the province of residence.
Demonstrated Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Exemplifies integrity, collaboration, adaptability, respect and excellence in every situation.
• A proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other professionals.
• Strong organizational and time management skills.
• Strong analytical abilities coupled with effective problem solving and decision-making skills.
• Effective leadership abilities with a strong commitment to operating within a multi-disciplinary team environment.
• Comprehensive knowledge of quality systems is required.
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Ability to adapt readily to rapid and changing environments.
• Demonstrated ongoing commitment to professional development.
• Travel will be required.
If you are looking for a meaningful career where you will make a difference and support healthy lives with commitment and care on a national level – we would like to meet you.
Canadian Blood Services has made a commitment to create and foster an inclusive culture based on fairness and equity to better serve Canadians and ensure everyone is treated with dignity, respect and courtesy.
Please note: This is a Full-Time position to be located in the Toronto region.
We ask interested parties to please submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae directly to Tracy.OToole@blood.ca.
Please use the following contact information to apply for this job:
Contact Name: Tracy O'Toole
Contact Email: Tracy.OToole@blood.ca