Wed, 14 Nov 2018
International Pathology Day
Celebrating pathology & laboratory medicine around the world.
International Pathology Day (IPD) was established by the Royal College in 2014 in partnership with the CAP-ACP and a number of pathology and laboratory medicine institutions across the globe to recognise and celebrate the contribution and important role played by pathology and laboratory medicine services in addressing global health challenges and improving the health outcomes of communities around the world.
Pathology is critical for the prevention, early detection, diagnosis and treatment of many of the leading causes of disease, providing over 70% of all the diagnoses which doctors use as the basis of their clinical decisions, whilst making up only 2% of global spending on healthcare. Without pathology, there is no medicine!
PATHOLOGY FUTURES: THE ROLE OF GENOMICS IN DISEASE DIAGNOSIS, TREATMENT & PREVENTION
Interested in supporting IPD? There are several ways in which organizations and individuals can get involved or take action.
1. Support International #PathologyDay: Social media, stories & photos
Tell us why global pathology matters. International Pathology Day is about championing and celebrating the work of pathologists and laboratory medicine professionals all around the world. Connect with us on social media and tell us why you are supporting International Pathology Day! Post, tweet or publish your views and stories on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram using the hashtag #IPD. Why not take a photo of yourself or your team holding one of our International #IPD Posters and publish it on social media?
2. Organise your own event or activity
Interested in organizing your own IPD event, but do not know where to begin? Running your own event is easy and it can be as small or as big as you want! If you are looking for inspiration, here are some examples of previous IPD activities that have taken place around the world:
- Germany: The Institute of Pathology in Berlin held an open day, which included guided tours of the department and presentations on the role of pathology in clinical medicine.
- India: The Basavatarakam Indo American Cancer Hospital and Research Institute in Hyderabad organised a seminar on the growing importance of pathology in the era of personalised medicine.
- Hong Kong: The Hong Kong College of Pathologists (HKCP) organised a week-long exhibition entitled "The science behind medicine".
- USA: The American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) promoted the day via its social media channels.
- Zimbabwe: The Zimbabwe Association of Pathologists organised a scientific conference on molecuar pathology at Parirenyatwa Hospital in Harare.
Event Planning Guides
3. Promote your activity on our events calendar
Pathology is global and we want to showcase IPD events that are taking place all over the world! Get your IPD event listed in our Online Events Calendar.