Wed, 14 Oct 2020
Physician burnout is characterized by 3 distinct domains which can be assessed by the Maslach Burnout Inventory (MBI). The prevalence of 'at least one manifestation of burnout' among physicians is 44% and the impacts of burnout on physicians themselves and the patient care they provide are devastating.
At the end of the meeting participants will be able to:
- Describe the phenomenon of physician burnout including its characteristics and prevalence amung physicians in general and Canadian pathologists in particular.
- Identify the potential implications of physician burnout on physicians themselves and the quality of patient care that they provide.
- Apply a framework to justify creating meaningful physician wellness infrastructure.
- Apply a framework to identify various drivers of Canadian pathologist burnout and potential corresponding mitigation strategies.
- Try various departmental and individual strategies that are currently working to mitigate against burnout of Canadian pathologists.
Speaker: Julia Keith MD, FRCPC
Target Audience: Pathologists, Residents, Medical Students, PAs, Technicians
CanMEDS Roles: Leader, Health Advocate