ABOUT THE COMMITTEE
Year Created: 2009
Chair: Dr. Raymond Maung (Kamloops, BC)
Recently, the Professional Affairs Committee has been amalgamated into the Workload and Workforce committee and to reflect this has been renamed “Workload and Human Resources Committee.
The committee will facilitate planning of the appropriate workforce to meet the clinical, academic and administrative needs in an institution. The committee will regularly update the CAP-ACP workload model to keep it current. The committee based the basic workload framework on the Level 4 Equivalent (L4E) unit. The L4E value takes into consideration the average time needed to complete the case, medical value to the clinicians and patients, clinical urgency, degree of difficulty and medico-legal responsibility.
- To maintain a register of laboratory physician remuneration and manpower
- To monitor patterns and analyze trends and policies regarding laboratory physician remuneration and manpower
- To provide economic information for members for negotiations
The committee members will include pathologists from all 10 provinces plus 2 representatives from the residents.
Dr. Allan F. Oryschak (AB)
Dr. Todd Chaba (AB)
Dr. Martin Trotter (BC)
Dr. Michael Allard (BC)
Dr. Raymond Maung (BC) - Chair
Dr. Esther Ravinsky (MB)
Dr. Gabor Fischer (MB)
Dr. Sen Yan (NB)
Dr. Polycarp Erivwo (NF)
Dr. Sanaz Sanii (Resident – St. Johns)
Dr. Laurette Geldenhuys (NS)
Dr. Yasser Elgohary (ON)
Dr. Vivien Frenkel (ON)
- Solicit comments from pathologists and other interested parties. These are to be directed to the chair or any member of the committee, preferably in written form.
The committee will update the workload model every 3-5 years based on
- Comments from pathologists and other interested parties
- Review of the literature
- Other workload models – working or proposed models
- Current clinical and quality assurance standards and practice
- Regular survey of Pathologists’ income
- Regular environmental scan of the pathology human resources nationally and provincially.
- What is the best indicator to determine anatomic pathology workload?
- CAP-ACP Workload Measurement Guidelines - 2011
- CAP-ACP Workload Measurement Guidelines - 2014
- CAP-ACP Workload Measurement Guidelines - 2014 Coding WorkBook (Excel)
- Workload management in laboratory medicine: patient safety and professional practices
- Guidelines on staffing and workload for histopathology and cytopathology departments (4th edition)
- Hidden Danger in Pathology (R.Maung)
- Survey to Determine Current and Accurate Canada-Wide Laboratory Human Resource, Workload and Practice Patterns
- Instructions for Completing the Survey to Determine Current and Accurate Canada-Wide Laboratory Human Resource, Workload and Practice Patterns